Skip to content
Tips For Writing Letters to the Editor
- Get the reader’s attention with the first sentence – make it a strong one.
- Keep your letter short.
- Include at least one word in your letter that sends them to the dictionary.
- Send your letter to more than one newspaper.
- If you get irritated by some current event, it is time to write your opinion in a letter to the editor.
- Ask a question in the letter with the intention of getting the reader to reconsider their position and come to your side of the issue, without making a direct statement.
- Find an article in the paper on the subject of your letter and quote briefly or refer to what the article was about. You don’t have to reference the article. The staff will find it and reference it for you.